Humm’s work draws upon his rich life experience and is deeply reflective and intellectual. His colour palette comes in the tradition of the Blaue Reiter, in line with his German roots. His works feel modern and loud which led the art critic Edward Lucy Smith to label his art as „Pop Expressionism.
Humm is a multi-disciplinary artist: “Humm has an instinctive understanding and a fascinating sophistication of each medium he uses.“says Professor and art critic Jean Wainwright.
Humm created in 2017/8 an epic artistic interpretation of Goethe’s „Faust“, called „The Last Faust“. It encompasses over 200 artworks (drawings, watercolours, oil paintings, photographs and sculptures), a 110 minutes feature art-film and an illustrated novella. „Some endeavours are so outlandish, so crazily grandiose, that you can only applaud their ambition. Such is Philipp Humm’s film version of parts one and two of Goethe’s epic verse drama Faust. “ writes Suzy Fay (Financial Times)
Humm is a British/German artist living in London and the South of France. He has been a practising artist throughout his life, yet first pursued a corporate career, where he was heading tech companies as CEO. In 2015, Humm switched professions and became fulltime artist.
Humm’s work has been exhibited in UK, USA, Germany, Singapore and Italy. Humm had extensive press coverage including cover stories in the Wall Street Journal and F22.
Humm studied at London’s Fine Art Studio and Florence’s Academy of Art. He also holds a MBA, and a BA in Philosophy.
- Saatchi Gallery (START), London 2022
- Galeria Foret (START) Seoul, Korea 2022
- Royal Society of British Artists – Mall Galleries, London 2022
- Saatchi Gallery (START), London 2021
- Solo – Bermondsey Project Space, London 2020
- Saatchi Gallery (START), London 2020
- Context – New York, Modern and Contemporary – Los Angeles USA 2018
- Start / Saatchi London 2018
- Solo – Dadiani Fine Arts, London 2019
- Saphira & Ventura Gallery, New York 2019
- Saphira & Ventura gallery, New York 2018
- Palazzo Ca’ Zanardi – Its Liquid competition – Venice 2017
- Sunny Art Centre Art Prize (sculpture) – London 2017
- Gallery Sans Titre – Potsdam/Germany 2017
- Solo event – Luxury Law Summit – London 2017
- Solo event – Mark Hix – London 2017
- Solo event – Rolls Royce – London 2017
- Solo – CNB Gallery – London 2017
- Solo event – Saatchi Gallery with Wallpaper/Rossana – London 2017
- Solo – Riflemaker Gallery – London 2016
- Werkhallen Gallery – Remagen – Germany 2016
- Walton Fine Arts Gallery – London 2016
- Ashurst Emerging Artist Prize – London 2016
- Broadway Art Festival – Little Buckland – UK 2016
- Best International Creatives 2016 – Art Quench Gallery.com – USA 2016
- Exclusive artist of the PURE Fair at Olympia – London 2016